“You don’t know me that well.
My mad face and my happy face are the same.”
– Pam (the Vampire Barbie), True Blood
This week I was over at the lovely Heather (A Very Tessa Tangent’s) blog, reading “Unsnarkism: How to be happy in 5 easy steps”. My favourite is the stapler on the head – tip 4 🙂
I was trying to think what my 5 steps to happiness would be and, naturally, since I just finished watching Season 5, my mind immediately wandered to True Blood.
There’s that scene where the ever adorable Hoyt begs his now ex-vampire girlfriend, Jessica, to glamour him.
“I tell you what I need – from you – for my going away present. I want you to glamour me. Make me forget about you. I want you gone. Out of my head. I want to lay down, go to sleep, close my eyes and not dream about you. Ever again.”
It’s one of those tear jerker scenes. And it took me back to some of my other favourite moments in entertainment.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind – the movie that turned me into a Jim Carey fan.
Reflecting on it now, I realise that, at least for me, happiness is closely linked to forgetfulness, ergo escape.
It may not be a recipe for lasting joy, but in the spirit of Heather’s meme, here are my 5 simple steps to a state of (temporary) bliss:
- Stimulants. Start the day with a strong cup of coffee, and end it with a martini. I’m in heaven.
- Home delivered dinner. In the middle of winter, when you’re staring at an empty fridge and your creativity is fried…Nothing spells happiness like Pumpkin Masala and some piping hot naan bread – delivered to your door!
- Quality TV. When I say TV, I mean, on DVD. Now that I’m done with True Blood, I’m hanging out for Breaking Bad to go on sale. Next week…
- Nature. A space to go walking, and forget about the world.
- Domesticity. This may seem at odds with the implied laziness of the first 4 points. But there’s nothing like cleaning to escape the intangibility of a writer’s pursuits. A physical task with a definite start and finish, to the tune of my best 90’s mix. I mean, who can’t enjoy cleaning to the beat of Mistadobalina?
Well, that’s about as close to being glamoured as I get.
Do you have a favourite superpower? What’s your happy drug?
For more happiness inspiration, also check out Coleen Patrick’s post on how to Bust a Wallow.